Friday, December 21, 2007

UmmaAli's Journey to islam





Asalam Alaikum

Hello All

Today is story day, so I thought I would tell you all my story of how I came to Islam.

UmmAli's Journey to Islam
I took my shahadah(declaration to faith) October 2002. It was the best day of my life. If I got to live a day over and over again it would be that day. I was nervous and shaking so hard. I was sitting with the sisters and the Iman sent the microphone back to me. He asked me was I taking my shahadah with free will. He then helped me say the shahadah in Arabic then I said it in English. I now was a Muslim. I felt such a joy I can't explain. It was then time for prayer. My first prayer, I didn't even know how. I must admit I did know a whole lot about Islam at that point. But I knew in my heart and mind that it was right.

The story that leads me to this point actually starts in a bar. It was my 21st birthday, so like most people who turn 21 here in the US, I was off to the bar. I also had the intention of going home with someone that night. Well, I did go home with someone and after that we started to date. He was a horrible boyfriend. He was a true player if you know what I mean. But he had a really nice friend named Muhammad. Little did I know he was the one that pointed me out to his friend in the bar. He was just to shy to come and talk to me. His friend obviously was not. Muhammad did not like the way his friend was treating me, he was always telling him not to treat me that way. My boyfriend knew that Muhammad liked me and that I was sweet on him. So he started telling lies to both of us so we would not like each other. It worked. Latter me and boyfriend broke up. I remained friends with him. I went to the bar a little while later and there they were. I got a little to tipsy and was going to walk home. Muhammad would not let me. He took me home and took care of me. I was soooooooo sick. Even though we had been fighting, he still did not like to see me like this. We have been together ever sense.


After that we started to date seriously. Then we decided to get married. I then knew that I had to learn what my further husbands religion was about. My first thought was that I would try and convert him to Christianity. It was not like either one of us was really practicing our religion so I thought it would not matter to him. But he would not budge, he said that no matter how bad he sinned, he knew that Islam was the right religion.


So then I started to think about my religion. And what my future husband was telling me was so confusing from what I had believed all my life. So to make sure he was not telling me things just to get me to convert I stopped asking him questions and went to some Muslims at my work. They were so sweet to me. They explained that Allah(God) did not have a son. That God was one and only. And that Muhammad[SAW(Peace Be Upon Him)] was the last prophet. They explained the basic things in Islam to me. That just stuck in my heart. The rest of it I must admit I did not really understand. I just knew that Allah being one and only made so much sense, and that is when Christianity started to leave my heart.


I spent weeks praying to Allah(God) to help me. I was so confused. Then one day at work this feeling just hit me. I had been quite all day and my friend new something was up. I just told her that there was a lot on my mind. How could I explain what I was feeling. I didn't want to give in. How could I give up the religion I had know all my life. But in my heart I knew the what I had to do.


That is when I made my discion. I told my friend I am going to do it, I was going to convert to Islam. She was like really. But she could tell I was serious. When I got home I told Muhammad and he told me to take my time, to make sure this is what I truly wanted to do. I didn't want to wait, but he made me. Finally after me hounding him enough he took me to buy some hijabs. I did not feel right not being covered. I can't explain how it feels. I just felt so naked. He wanted me to wait till I took my Shanda, but I could not. I wore hijab for 2 weeks before I took my shahadah.

Muhammad took me to the masjidd. I was nervous and excited at the same time. I didn't want to leave his side, but I had to. He walked me to the womens entrance and I stood there looking at the door. When I walked in the sisters smiled at me and greeted me. I had no idea what they said or how to respond. I just smiled and nodded. The iman was giving the lecture and I was trying to listen but he was using so many Arabic words I could not understand half of it. After the lecture they were getting ready to pray when Muhammad stood up and said his fiancée was here to take shahadah.

Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar they all started to say. I was so scared at that moment I started to shake. The sister beside me realized it was me and took my hand. The iman sent back the mic and asked me was I doing this on my own free will. I said yes then he asked me if I knew what I was about to do, I said yes. Muhammad told him I didn't know how to say the shahadah in Arabic so the iman helped me. The sister beside held my hand strong and corrected me when I mispronounced something. Then I said it in English.

I am a Muslim now, I felt this feeling I can't explain. The sisters one by one started to hug and kiss me and congratulate me. I still know a few sisters from that night.

That day was the best day of my life, better then my wedding day, even better then they day my kids were born. I will always cherish that day.

I left that masjidd a Muslim. I came to Islam and my husband came back to Islam. We married two weeks after my shahadah.

I am not close to my family to began with so it was not that hard to tell them. I basically only had my mom and my brother and his wife. They all took it ok. My sister in law, tried to talk me out of it a little, but then seen I was serious and backed off.


I am now completely covered, all but my eyes. I also took a Muslim name, my old name was haram(not permitted). You see how one life can change. I was your basic half naked women in the bar to a Muslimah(Muslim Sister) trying to strive hard to gain Paradise. Don't ever count anyone out. You never know who Allah will guide. Allah has blessed me with this beautiful religion of Islam a wonderful husband and two precious children.


I would like to share with you my favorite ayah in the Quran. It means so much to me. It tells my story. Me am Muhammad were once enemies then Allah brought us together and save us both from the pit of the fire.


In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful
And hold fast, all of you together, to the Rope of Allah (i.e. this Qur'ân), and be not divided among yourselves, and remember Allah's Favor on you, for you were enemies one to another but He joined your hearts together, so that, by His Grace, you became brethren (in Islamic Faith), and you were on the brink of a pit of Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus Allah makes His Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.,) clear to you, that you may be guided.
Surah Ale-Imran (The Family of Imran)3:103


[wITH THE KIND PERMISSION OF SISTER UMMALI FROM AMERICA]

1 comment:

Amira Mohamed said...

Asalam Alaikum
InshaAllah my story will inspire others.

BTW I have a blogger account, but I don't like it much I am mostly on multiply

Blog Archive